Saturday, May 11, 2013

Manila, Philippines Arrival

After 30 hours of traveling, I (and my team of 4 other PIBV volunteers) have arrived in Manila! We will be working with a youth organization called One Million Lights. The organization is a branch off a  non-profit based in Palo Alto, California that distributes safe, rechargeable solar lighting to replace dangerous kerosene lamps. We have had the pleasure of hanging out with the core team of seven who are all very dedicated and knowledgeable in what they do.

The school organization that I'm working through in order to consult for them is called Penn International Business Volunteers. They have eight trips this summer including trips to Malawi, Morocco, Peru, Kazakstan. Our team of five people, including myself, will work first with internal to figure out a better management structure and a better system for recruiting/training their volunteers. Externally, we will be conducting impact assessment to see what we can quantify for future grants and publications. 

I'm most excited about actual distributions we will be doing this coming weekend! But in the meanwhile, I'm going to see if I can sleep off the jet lag. 


PIBV Team at Saturday Market

No comments:

Post a Comment