Tuesday, May 14, 2013

PIBV-OML Consulting

We spent the last two do doing an internal assessment of the organization. A youth organization comes with its advantages and disadvantages but it has been exciting talking with all of the core executive team and the volunteers as well. Most of our final presentation will be on management structure  communication tools and volunteer recruitment & development. By far, one of the coolest non profits I have had the pleasure of working with. It really is amazing what they have done in the last couple of years and as much as I doubted the impact then, I realize that having light after sunset can mean the world of difference. Some really cool facts that I wanted to reiterate: replacing solar panel light reduces 100 kg of carbon; it can lead to greater literacy and increase in eduction because kids can study after dark; replacing lights can save people up to 10 pesos a day by not using kerosene. Here is a picture of us hard at work at one of the core member's house:

working hard or hardly working? 
I also glimpsed a little bit into the life of a consultant. I have not worked for 8 hours straight before. I know that sounds totally lame and whiney but what I mean is I haven't worked and actually concentrated for that hard for 8 hours before. I expect when I have to start work, this is what it would be like. It was encouraging that I was able to actually do it, but discouraging that no matter where I work, I might have to long hours where I am absolutely focused on what I do.

Outside of our little work bubble though, there were other exciting events going on. First was the congressional elections. There is something called the liquor ban starting the day before until midnight of the day of the elections. I guess it is to prevent rowdy pre or post election rages. But it is only illegal to buy alcohol not necessarily to drink it. I guess it is part necessary because there are waring families within provinces that can get violent during election times.

Picture of election booth in Alabang, Philippines 
Other interesting things I discovered was church in the Philippines is actually conducted outside. Well, more exactly, there is a roof but only a wall on one side and not closed doors. While I was proud of getting myself to church, it was hard to focus because of the heat and the taglish (which is Tagalog and English, the same way I speak Konglish to most of my friends). When we walked out there was a Taho peddler and our friend bought it for us for 20 pesos. It was tofu with sweet sauce and some type of jelly bubbles. It wasn't my favorite thing in the world, but a popular snack for a lot of Filipinos apparently.
Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ Church (outdoors)
My next post will be on food, so get excited!

My first Taho

No comments:

Post a Comment